-
November 16th, 2003, 12:35 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Why does the Canadian Electric Code require a min. of 300 volt (NM-D) and the National Electric code in the United States require a min. of 600 volts(NM-B)?
-
November 16th, 2003, 02:36 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Hello
In general terms, most places that NMD-90 can be used; the voltage to ground cannot exceed 150V,most commonly it is 120 volts to ground and does not exceed 240 volts between conductors. Which obviously makes the 300-volt insulation quite adequate.
I cannot comment on the NEC, as I am not familiar with it.
-
November 17th, 2003, 04:30 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Does the new code state that you have to run a ground wire in EMT conduit or is the conduit sufficient ground?
-
November 17th, 2003, 04:47 AM
#4
Inactive Member
More specifically,
"12-502 Nonmetallic sheathed cable shall not be used where the voltage exceeds 300V between any conductors.
12-504 Non metallic sheathed shall be permitted in or on buildings of combustible construction..."
Rocketman: Do you know the exact wording of the N.E.C. requirement?
-
November 19th, 2003, 06:59 AM
#5
Inactive Member
ok for usa NEC requriement it do have some limitation of useage but the list is very long. but i will cut to chase short as possible 120/240 and 120/208 volts is very common voltage for using the romax wires but some area can use 277/480 volts ( this is more common in office and other area but resticted useage) but i will concat my freind he will give me the nec codes numbers to post it here. but which way you want it?? genral useage or what ??? and i can understand that your nm wire say "NM-D" is about the same as NM-B with 90 C conducters if i am correct here.
merci, marc
-
November 19th, 2003, 10:33 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Thanks Marc. The non-metallic cable we use in Canada is described as loomex and has the designation NMD-90 (non-metallic-dry-90C). It is equivalent to romex or NMB, I believe the 300V vs 600V is the only major difference (also I do not know what the "B" stands for). The voltages I work on the most are 120/208V and 600/347V. In Canada I don't think you would find a 277/480V system in a wood frame building (I believe high-rise office buildings and unusual equipment are the only application here). I am interested in what the N.E.C articles say.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks